Capoeira: When to help others is no longer a choice but an obligation! 1/2

Tarek “Laranja” Alsaleh was the first practitioner to introduce Caopeira in Syria. Different from many enthralled young teachers who chose to ‘train just for fun’, Tarek believes that helping children and youth to find joy in their lives is no longer a choice, but an obligation. He coordinates various different projects utilising Capoeira as a socio-educative instrument in different locations. Through CapoeirArab, he launched the “Free for Kids project”, a programme assisting over 500 Iraqi/Palestinian refugees and children in areas of extreme social conditions. Currently Tarek is working to launch ‘Bidna Capoeira’ a NGO that aims ‘to bring capoeira to people in difficult situations around the world’, as he puts it. This is the first part of my interview with Tarek.

1 – 4CapoeiraThoughts – Can you tell me about your Capoeira background?

Tarek ‘Laranja’ – Three things are fundamental to me: a good pizza, Reggae and Capoeira.

My Capoeira roots are from Köln – Germany. Contra Mestre Porquinho, (Companhia Pernas Pro Ar or CPPA) (www.capoeira.de) gave me my first cord and the appelido “Laranja”.

The reason why I’m in Syria is … well, I guess a number of factors piled on top of each other to push me towards finding a new chapter of life: I’d finished university, my job was uninspiring, my girlfriend disappeared to Brazil, and the weather in Germany was really, really terrible. I knew I had to make a change.

In 2007, I started teaching capoeira in Syria, encouraging participation from all sectors of Syrian society, aiming especially at youth, as well Palestinian/Iraqi refugees.

I love Capoeira and there was no school, so starting one here was the only thing to do. There might be Capoeiristas who tell me my belt [level] might be not high enough but when there is no one else, you have to make the best of what you’ve got, right?

I’m inspired by Mestre Bira (Jilberto de souza coelho) – he suddenly showed up at our first Batizado in 2009. He’s like a magnet; a Rasta with huge dreadlocks who’s always smiling. He’s like me, not into capoeira politics, and he came at the right time. He will supervise the upcoming EU project “meeting in play” which starts in February.

2 – 4CapoeiraThoughts – What is the relationship between CapoeirArab, Capoeira CPPA, and the social programmes you have established in Syria?

I had to start from scratch in Syria; nobody knew about Capoeira. I opened the school under the name CapoeirArab because I wanted make a strong connection between the Arabic and Brazilian cultures.

CapoeirArab is an independent branch of CPPA. I knew about social programmes from CPPA in Brazil but I was too busy with organizing and teaching to follow it up.

When Moussa Mokraui, ‘Latino’ – a good friend from CPPA in Köln – arrived in 2008, it gave me more time to organize our social programmes. We began the ‘Free for Kids’ program and soon had trained over 500 kids.

Free 4 Kids’ is the central project of our school, in which we try to promote the spirit of friendship, solidarity and fair play. It teaches teamwork, self-discipline, trust and respect for one another.

We are now working in collaboration with the EU (European Union), the Embassy of Brazil, UNICEF (United Nations Children’s Fund), UNRWA (United Nations Relief and Work Agency), UNHCR (United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees), and Terre des Hommes International Federation, among others – and have trained over 5000 kids.

3 – 4CapoeiraThoughts – You present yourself as a very young teacher, who might suffer criticism for having set an independent group in Syria given your graduation level in Capoeira. Can you tell us about the ‘pros and cons’ of establishing an independent initiative (group), as a young teacher, to establish socio-cultural programmes in a time when belonging to one of the major groups or lineages, regardless of styles, seems to be ‘the most important thing’ within the Capoeira worldwide community?

I would say in my Capoeira life I’m just beginning to walk … but I’m wearing sport shoes. I’m not suffering any criticism at all; I’m doing what I’ve got to do to get Capoeira established here. I remember the time when I started teaching in parks and on roofs in the old city just to get started. If I hadn’t made this step, it might have been decades before a school was established in Syria… and they love it here.

The pros of setting up your own school are that you are liberated from the political issues in capoeira; free to show your respect for the art in your own way. The cons: it’s a lot of work, starting with just 2 or 3 students and one berimbau.

There aren’t really any critics of what we’re doing; people want to support us. Put simply, you do good, and good will follow.

To be continued…

This entry was posted in intercultural learning, Social Capoeira and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

18 Responses to Capoeira: When to help others is no longer a choice but an obligation! 1/2

1. Hi Laranja ,
    There is here something really good for me . I’m for sure older than you , but in a similar situation as a “capoeira teacher”. BUT ABSOLUTELY FAR AWAY FROM BE SUCCESSFUL AS YOU ARE .
    MY ATTEMPT TO ESTABLISH CAPOEIRA HERE IN MOTUEKA, NEW ZEALAND IS FADING.
    Motivation and social situation are totally different from Syria and New Zealand, and possibly the lack of success is just due to this factors.Nevertheless I will be happy to keep in touch with you .hoping to find a solution together, both with you an with C.M Eurico, my teacher, who I’m going to visit soon in Australia for a Capoeira Social Inclusion event.
    So thanks and congratulations to both of you for the interview and your work.

AXE’
    VOVO’

2. Z says:

Hey Laranja,
    These kids are so sweet! And are so proficient already!
    Such an inspiration to know about your story.
    Bidna capoeira!
    Zarina

3. compasso says:

That was inspiring .
    I know porquinho from the good old days . He has many nice students .
    All I can say about your work is ‘wow’ !
    I’m gonna go play ! :-)

4. Panda says:

The whole last night I have been dreaming about new movements I learned yesterday. And I woke up and played Bermibau for a while.
    Capoeira…
    It is just amazing!
    I get more and more fascinated by it every single day.
    These kids are learining to be HERE and NOW. This skill is maybe the most valuable thing any body can earn in his/her life and my God they are good.
    They are smiling happily and it worths alot!
    I am impressed.
    Good job man!
    Axe’
    Panda

5. marreta says:

Oi Laranja,

It is so inspiring to read your story! Like you wrote ‘ free to show your respect for the art in your own way.’ Respect! Good luck with your project!
    groetjes Marrit

6. Oliver says:

Man, proud to met you in Syria

and wishing to do it again, keep going in this adventure and congratulation for a work well done

jaman always glad

7. Ron says:

This is an amazing story. I can so relate to it. I started what I thought was the first Capoeira group in the Arab world in 2005 in Beirut. I was talking to a friend that I was training capoeira, so then he asked me to show me some. This turned in a small group of us, training wherever we could find spaces, parking lots, abandoned buildings, roof tops, empty streets at night… the enthusiasm and energy of my ‘students’ was amazing, we had no instruments, no place and were facing a lot of ignorance and often rejection. We had to make do with whatever we had. It was inspiring. I had to leave in 2006, but I think the group is still going in Hamra.
    Parabens for doing this amazing work and inspiring so many people. This is the true capoeira for me!!!!!!!!!
    Muito axe
    ron (sabugo/carioca)

8. Gente,

Apparently the interaction of my blog is blocked in Syria. Laranja wrote me an email telling that he’s using a proxy server to read your comments. We’re thinking about alternative ways for him to reply your comments. Sorry for taking so long to post something here, but as most of the comments were directed to Laranja, I was waiting for him to answer.

Please, check the last part of the interview and lets keep in touch.

Thanks for all your support!
    Axé!
    Eurico

9. Camaradas,
    Tarek wrote me this note, and asked me to post here for you.
    Apparently, 4capoeirathoughts is blocked there for interaction.

“Thank you all for your comment and the positive feedback!!
    The world looks more bright when you hear that there more people out there who have the same attitudes.
    The `holding page`for http://www.bidnacapoeira.org is online now.
    We’re focussing on programs in the Middle East this year, with deprived local communities and refugee camps.
    We also hope to build a network of capoeiristas and supporters so soon we can work worldwide.

We also plan to do other activities to make our programs more varied; such as theatre, dance or other things our trainers are passionate about.

(We love capoeira but you can’t play it all day)
    Our 2nd Batizado is on the 15 – 18ten of July, see you there inshallah!
    Axe from Damascus,

Laranja”

10. Fabio says:

Eurico,

I’m happy to watch you grow as a powerful communicator! You have been a great teacher for a while now! Congratulations on your blog and web presence!

Abraço

Franja

11. Pingback: Research updates and heads up on new Capoeira-related programmes and projects world over! | 4capoeirathoughts

12. Pingback: Capoeira Head Trainer Needed (to work with social programmes) in Syria | 4capoeirathoughts

13. Pingback: Bidna Capoeira moves on enriching the lives of Palestinias kids. | 4capoeirathoughts

14. Pingback: Random Thought: Even idiots learn how to ride good ideas | 4capoeirathoughts

15. Pingback: IRC launches programs in West Bank for at-risk children; By Ned Colt | 4capoeirathoughts

16. Pingback: Bidna Capoeira: Where it all began | 4capoeirathoughts

17. Pingback: The São Salomão Capoeira Centre and The Caxinguelês Project | 4capoeirathoughts